Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Sounds Around Me



I am very excited to share this post with you today!  I have been working on a song for speech goals for my clients with autism.  There are infinite numbers of songs out there that can address any speech goal you can think of.  Pretty much any song you can think of with appropriate lyrics will work on some type of language/speech skill.  I wrote this song with fun in mind.  I wanted to figure out a way to provide a song that directly deals with the client needs while still creating a fun and energetic atmosphere.  What better way to do that than to make noises?  I used sounds that my clients have been having trouble with such as: /ch, z, sh, ha, pop, gull, mm, and cah/.  

When in a session using this song, I first go over the song verbally and explain the different sounds that are made during the day.  One example within the song includes, "A train is chugging down the tracks....../ch, ch, ch, ch/."  So I ask the client on each line what sound that particular verse creates.  Then, I sing through the song stopping to ask what sound is going to be made before I make it.  There are many opportunities within the song to make the sounds.  The clients are having so much fun that they don't realize how many times they are saying the actual sound.  And what I have learned is, through repetition, the client begins to form the sounds more correctly each time they give it a try.  Just within the one hour session, my client, who very rarely speaks one of the sounds accurately, made the correct sound at least once.  I can't wait to see what happens after I start repeating this song much more often!  Maybe my client will begin to remember how to correctly form her oral/motor responses.

So here is my creation for your purchase below, enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment